Labels

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

And Then You Dye by Monica Ferris

   
 
And Then You Dye by Monica Ferris
 
From amazon.com:
Betsy Devonshire, full-time owner of the Crewel World needlework shop and part-time sleuth, has hooked more than a few crooks in the USA Today bestselling Needlecraft Mysteries. Now Betsy learns the hard way that a murder is still murder, any way you color it…

Betsy is a natural-born yarnsmith—so it’s only fitting that some of her favorite items to stock come from the dye-works of Hailey Brent. Hailey makes hand-dyed knitting wool, silk, soy, and corn yarns. She uses only natural vegetable dyes, creating soft and beautiful colors. Which means her yarns are expensive, but well worth

Unfortunately, someone thinks they’re worth killing for.

When Hailey’s body is discovered shot dead in her workshop, Betsy discovers that there was a lot about Hailey she would have never guessed. Like her penchant for stealing other’s property for her own use. Her use of dangerous additives to create her so-called all-natural fibers. And a scheming mind that had made her more than one enemy.

Now, Betsy must wring the truth from a bevy of colorful suspects. Because the truth just might mean the difference between living—and dyeing…
 
Leona's Review:
This is the  first book I have read by Monica Ferris; it was recommended to me by a friend. One of the main characters, Ruth Ladwig, has been a good friend of mine for years and she has taught me most of what I know of dyes.
Hailey Brent has been shot to death in her basement where she used to dye fabrics. Mike Malloy is the police detective in charge of the case. Betsy Devonshire, an amateur sleuth, is helping him on the case. The book has lots of activities happening but I feel it helped with the story. Lots of characters, who are defined, so no real confusion when new characters are brought into the book. I have read some reviews and see some of the characters have been in other books but the introductions of the characters made it a stand alone book.
The reader learns about dyes, needlework threads, needlework, plants, coin collecting and places in Minnesota. Betsy lives and has her needlework shop, Crewel World, in Excelsior, Minnesota. It was fun to read about places I knew. The book is great for those who do needlework and love to learn. Monica Ferris has added men who do needlework in the story. Reminded me of Rosey Grier who did needlework. It makes me want to pick up my embroidery and start a new project.
The book does not spend all the time on the murder so we see new characters and even what they feel. Description of food, scenery and clothing help make this book. As always, it is so nice to have a cat or pet in any story. There is a cross stitch pattern in the back oft the book.
I am giving  "And Then You Dye" a 4 star. I checked out this book from my library. I look foward to reading other works by Monica Ferris and I am glad my friend introduced me to this author. A great cozy mystery that is a fast read.
Readers may find Monica Ferris at www.monica-ferris.com
Leona Olson

No comments: