Labels

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

Cleopatra's Daughter

This was a good historical fiction book that starts with the deaths of Marc Antony and Cleopatra on August 12,30 BC.

The three children of Cleopatra, Kleopatra, and Marc Antony are taken to Rome after the death of their parents. Cleopatra's Daughter is Kleopatra Serene and Serene is the narrator of the book. Her twin brother is Alexander Helios and the youngest of the children is Ptolemy. Serena and Alexander are ten years old and Ptolemy is six years old. They are taken to Rome and paraded before the Romans wearing golden chains. The children go to live with the sister of Octavian, Octavia, who was the former wife of Marc Antony.

I do want to give more details because I did not know that Cleopatra and Marc Antony had children even though I have read a lot about history and watch the archaeology programs. (Learn something new every day). The details in the book are close to history, even though this is fiction and the author has taken some liberties in her writings.

This is my first read by Michelle Moran and I am really impressed in her knowledge and research. She has many tidbits that bring the reader into the era. I was a volunteer at a Pompeii exhibit and I appreciated the descriptions of the people, clothing and living areas as they were so simlar.

Maps are in the beginning of the book and always an added bonus for me as a reader. There is List of Characters and a Timeline front of the book and a Glossary, Afterword, Historical Notes and Acknowledgements in the back.

I give this a five star. It is certainly a re-read for me because of so much history.

I am now reading Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran.

You can find her on www.michellemoran.com

Leona Olson

1 comment:

J. R. Tomlin said...

I may have to pick this one up. (so to speak ;) )

Sounds fascinating. Thanks