Labels

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book review of Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes





 

Wings of Glass
 
Book review of Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes.
 
From Goodreads.com:
"From the best-selling author of Crossing Oceans comes a heartrending yet uplifting story of friendship and redemption. On the cusp of adulthood, eighteen-year-old Penny Carson is swept off her feet by a handsome farmhand with a confident swagger. Though Trent Taylor seems like Prince Charming and offers an escape from her one-stop-sign town, Penny’s happily-ever-after lasts no longer than their breakneck courtship. Before the ink even dries on their marriage certificate, he hits her for the first time. It isn't the last, yet the bruises that can't be seen are the most painful of all.
When Trent is injured in a welding accident and his paycheck stops, he has no choice but to finally allow Penny to take a job cleaning houses. Here she meets two women from very different worlds who will teach her to live and laugh again, and lend her their backbones just long enough for her to find her own.
Gina Holmes ’ stunning literary talent glistens like crystal in Wings of Glass. With subtle brilliance, she takes us into the very heart of what makes us hungry to love and be loved. Simply stellar!” Susan Meissner, Author of A Sound Among the Trees
Paperback, 1st, 384 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Tyndale House"
 
My review:
I do not usually read a book like this because I like to read to escape or read about history. To be honest, I almost did not read it but I did turn to the back of the book to see the outcome.
This is a book of fiction for Penny but not a life of fiction for some many abused men and women; most of the ones getting abused are women though.
I remember my mother telling me if a man hits you, leave and I am over the age of 75. It held true then and it does now. I had lunch with two of my sons the day I read Wings of Glass and thanked them for treating women right.
It is a hard read and your heart goes out for the main character, Penny. Gina Holmes did a good job of writing a book about what happens in real life.
The back of the book has Discussion Questions that could be used for a woman's group or a church group.
It is a fast read and even though I knew the outcome, I did read the whole book. 
There is love, fear, friendship, caring, children, growing and God in this powerful book.
Gina Holmes has Acknowledgements on page xi. The first is: God, for giving me wings that will never shatter and the last one is: Last, but certainly not least-my parents and family.
This book is dedicated: For Mom and Chrissy.
I give this a 5 star.
I checked out this book from my library.
Leona Olson


No comments: